Japan is No. 1 globally in terms of iOS AppStore + Google Play revenues, bigger and faster growing than USA
10 out of 25 top grossing apps in Japan are of foreign origin
AppAnnie showed that in terms of combined iOS AppStore + Google Play revenues, Japan is No. 1 globally, spending more than the USA. Therefore Japan is naturally the No. 1 target globally for many mobile game companies, and 10 out of 25 top grossing apps in Japan are of foreign origin!
Japan’s iconic game companies created many game categories – this tradition carries over to mobile gaming now.
Building a business in Japan is not trivial
Many foreign game companies have failed and given up. Foreign game companies that have recently given up in Japan include Zynga and Habbo Hotel. EA has given up twice, and is now undertaking the third entry to Japan. To understand some of the key mistakes foreign companies make in Japan, read our blog about why Vodafone failed in Japan.
Lets have a look at the list of top grossing games in the Apple iOS AppStore today. Out of the 25 top grossing games in the AppStore, 10 are by foreign originating companies. Can you guess which these are by reading the list below?
So Japan is certainly not a “closed market”. Actually, it is obvious that Apple does not discriminate in any way against foreign companies in Japan.
Interestingly, neither Nintendo, nor Rovio’s games, such as Angry Birds appear among the 200 “top grossing games” in Apple’s iOS Japan AppStore.
Apple iOS AppStore-Japan “Top Grossing” games ranking – 10 out of the 25 top grossing apps in Japan are by companies of foreign origin
Can you guess which 10 are by companies of foreign origin?
February 4, 2014:
- No. 1 Puzzle & Dragons by GungHo
- No. 2 Quiz RPG Witch and black cat quiz (by Colopl)
- No. 3 Dragon Quest Monsters Superlight (by Square Enix)
- No. 4 Monster strike (by Mixi)
- No. 5 LINE Pokopang (by Naver Japan)
- No. 6 Pro yakiyu PRIDE (by Colopl Inc)
- No. 7 Tsuri Suta (by GREE)
- No. 8 Sengoku Enbu (by Sumzap Inc)
- No. 9 Puyo puyo!! Quest (by Sega Corporation)
- No. 10 Gunzei RPG aoi no sangokushi (by Colopl)
- No. 11 Bousou retsuden tansha tora (by Donuts Ltd) (a motobicycle race game)
- No. 12 Dragon league X (by Asobism Co Ltd)
- No. 13 Clash of Clans (by Supercell)
- No. 14 Love life! School Idol Festival (by KLab Inc.)
- No. 15 Candy Crush Saga (by King.com Ltd)
- No. 16 LINE (by Naver Japan)
- No. 17 Dragon poker (by Asobism Co Ltd)
- No. 18 Gundam Area wars (by NamcoBandai Games Inc)
- No. 19 Brave frontier (by Alim Co Ltd)
- No. 20 Chain cronicle. Original scenario RPG. Chencro (by SEGA Corporation)
- No. 21 LINE Play (by Naver Japan)
- No. 22 LINE Bubble! (by Naver Japan)
- No. 23 LINE Disney tsumu tsumu (by Naver Japan)
- No. 24 World soccer collection S (by KONAMI)
- No. 25 Hay Day (by Supercell)
Japan game market report
Register and receive an email with a link to a free trial version of our report on “Japan’s game makers and markets” and our newsletters.
Copyright (c)2014 Eurotechnology Japan KK All Rights Reserved