M&A in Japan: Find and approach partners
Find Japanese companies fitting your desired profile
Clients in many cases approach us wishing to invest in our to acquire a Japanese corporation, in order to enter Japan’s market, but they do not yet know which Japanese companies could be interesting. Here are some examples:
- An America based global industrial company engaged us to find Japanese speciality semiconductor IC design companies for investment, or acquisition or partnership. We found and initial list of approximately 100 Japanese corporations close to the clients requirements. We then selected a short-list of about 10 potential targets, which we then visited for initial explorations of interest.
- A global software company without out presence in Japan yet approached us with the plan to enter Japan’s market by acquiring Japanese software companies. In this case client had no presence in Japan, and therefore also no knowledge of potential Japanese target companies. Therefore our work needed to start with a broad search for Japanese companies which may fit client’s requirements.
Often our clients already know which Japanese company they are wishing to discuss with, in which case the project work may begin by seeking to contact the target company.
Approaching your selected Japanese company for discussions leading potentially to a partnership or acquisition
In order to discuss partnerships including the possibility of M&A, it is normally necessary to discuss with the top executive level, Board Directors in the case of Japanese corporations.
To avoid leakage of information, we usually do not use “introductions”, but approach top executives, CEO, COO or similar directly for discussions. In most cases, it takes us about 1-2 months from project start to have a first meeting with CEO or COO of a Japanese corporation – directly without “introduction” by third parties, including the necessary preparations. By approaching directly we prevent information leakage.
Note that Gerhard Fasol is Board Director of a stock market listed Japanese corporations, and therefore has several years of direct experience of worked at top executive level and Board of Directors level in Japan, which is most cases is essential for M&A work in Japan.
M&A and partnering in Japan topics
- M&A process
- Understand the industry: research
- Find and approach partners
- Build cooperation
- Due diligence
- Negotiate and close agreements
- Post merger
- Sale of a company by auction in Japan, or cross-border
Copyright (c) 1996-2020 Eurotechnology Japan KK All Rights Reserved