SUICA: prepaid fares, e-money and mobile payments. An analysis of one of the world’s largest e-money systems.
Version 13 of May 12, 2014
pdf file, approx. 169 pages, 3 Figures, 60 Photographs, 12 Tables, 3.1 Mbyte
Lead author: Gerhard Fasol, works since 1984 with Japan’s technology industries.
Buy and download – SUICA report:
Summary – SUICA report:
SUICA is the electronic and mobile ticketing and e-cash system used in the greater Tokyo area and several other areas of Japan. About 20 million cards have been issued – and we estimate that over 30 million cards will be issued by 2010. We estimate that it is used for around US$ 10 billion per year in transactions. These figures make it one of the largest electronic cash and prepaid fare systems.
On March 18, 2007 PASMO was launched. PASMO is an electronic fare and e-cash system for about 100 transportation companies in the Tokyo area and is fully compatible and interoperable. PASMO planned to sell 5 million PASMO cards in the first year – however almost 4 million PASMO cards were sold within the first three weeks alone. This report explains the details these systems, and of several other related electronic fare and electronic cash systems currently used in Japan.
Table of Contents – SUICA prepaid fares and e-money analysis report:
What is the meaning?
Competitive landscape of Japan’s emerging electronic cash and electronic payment industry
Mobile payment and keitai credit
Keitai credit – development and trends
Graphical map of Japan’s mobile payment and keitai credit sector
Keitai credit (postpaid)
What is SUICA and why.
20 years development history
What is SUICA and why?
Third generation fare collection
Replacing mechanical ticket gates with wireless non-contact reader/writers
Quantitative data and time line.
20 million users within 5 years of introduction (graphics: number of issued cards with and without credit function, season tickets
Some basic data: main applications, usage area, number of cards issued, total issued and stored value
JR East VIEW card time line and link
Test introduction and results (April-July 2001)
“Touch and go”
PASMO: combining Passnet and the joint Tokyo area bus pass from March 18, 2007
Management of PASMO
Passnet, Joint Buss Pass (Data for July 2003)
Marketing PASMO: Pasmo-Robot Character
The Icoca Card System
Icoca/ Suica interoperability
The Pitapa System
The Pitapa IC Card System
Pitapa for ecash
From August 1, 2006: joint use of Suica, Icoca and Pitapa
The Pitapa IC Card System
Pitapa for ecash
Comparing the systems
Toica in the Chubu/Nagoya area
The Toica card system
JAL Card: Combining SUICA with the Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
The card platform
Linking with the view Credit Card
- First Class travel e-tickets
prepaid electronic cash
Why electronic cash
Requirements for electronic cash
SUICA competitor for e-Cash: Edy overview and explanation
JR-East partners with Convenience store chain FamilyMart
Cash register (POS) with SUICA reader/writer
Images of stores which accept SUICA during the monitor test period, and after introduction
Suica as e-cash at the Kiosk
Luggage locker operated by SUICA
Mobile SUICA field trial
Mobile SUICA field trial, description
Schematics of using a mobile phone with SUICA functionality at a railway fare gate
Mobile SUICA as part of the i-mode Felica Service
SO504iC (SONY Ericsson SO504i + FeliCa smart-card)
- EZ Felica – KDDI’s Wallet Phone
In preparation: Contactless IC cards and wallet phones for the Tokyo-Osaka Tokaido Shinkansen
The JR Tokai Express Card
The JR Tokai Express Card: statistics for the Tokyo-Osaka shinkansen
Ticket purchase via internet site
Ticket purchase via mobile phone
- Odakyu Romance Card club – tickets via mobile phone
What are wallet phones and why
SUICAs Technology: The FeliCa platform
Inside view of Felica (with pictures of cut open FeliCa cards)
FeliCa and standards, communication standards
Technical data of selected FeliCa cards (anticollision type, ordinary and with magnet stripe for non-contactless read/write)
FeliCa compared with other IC-Cards
VISA, SONY, Infineon alliance
“Pasoli” contactless secure reader/writer for FeliCa cards and connection to PCs or cash registers
“i-Mode – FeliCa preview service”
– Overview and explanation
– Listing of participating companies
– Applications tested (summary outline)
- Security and privacy
FeliCa for transportation: Octopus, Suica, …
FeliCa for fare collection
FeliCa as a de-facto standard for transportation payments
FeliCa: Octopus card (Hong Kong)
Felica in Hong Kong, Singapore, New Delhi and Bangkok
FeliCa based transportation tickets in Japan
Images of selected FeliCa based cards in Japan
FeliCa and Mifare
Outline of FeliCa system, system overview
Moible phone with Felica system and near field communication system
FeliCa and Mifare
Felica and NXP Joint Venture
We produce market research on Japan’s technology markets since 1996. We use the following methods:
- Desk research: public domain data, internet resources
- Official data from Government sources, Government white papers, public domain Government data bases, industry associations, and other trade organizations
- Data from Annual reports and other public disclosures by companies
- “Gray literature”: materials distributed at trade shows, conferences, workshops
- Public presentations, lectures, keynote talks, Press conferences
- Trade shows and events. We regularly visit a large number of trade shows and industry events, mainly in the Tokyo, Osaka areas, but also in US and Europe.
- Interviews, discussions at trade shows, and other industry events
- Cross checking and cross validation of data from different sources.
- Analysis using sophisticated, research grade mathematical and statistical software, and proprietary analysis software developed by Eurotechnology Japan KK.
- Our proprietary data base of industry data, photographs, and information collected since our company foundation in 1996/1997 mainly covering Japan’s electronics, telecommunications and energy industries.
- Our research and analysis staff is mainly PhD level and highly trained and experienced.
Preview – SUICA and e-money for transport report
Register and receive an email with a link to a free trial version of our report on “SUICA and e-money for transport” (selected pages) and our newsletters.
Buy and download – SUICA prepaid fares and e-money analysis report:
Copyright 2014-2019 Eurotechnology Japan KK All Rights Reserved