One highlight of this year’s 7th Ludwig Boltzmann Forum was when Nobel Prize Winner Shuji Nakamura who’s invention of GaN LEDs eliminates the need to build thirty 1GW class nuclear power stations in the USA alone by 2030, asked the world’s most experienced nuclear power station operators and regulators, Chuck Casto, which source of energy he thought was best for Japan. Read Chuck Casto’s answer here.
- Shuji Nakamura: Developments of InGaN-based double hetero-structure high brightness blue LEDs and future lighting
- Gerhard Fasol: Ludwig Boltzmann – the revolutionary, Boltzmann’s work, Boltzmann’s constant and entropy
- Chuck Casto: Global leadership in the extreme: crisis leadership in post-Fukushima
- Hiroyuki Yoshikawa: Macroscopic Engineering
Energy. Entropy. Leadership.
Creator and curator: Gerhard Fasol
20 February 2015 at the Embassy of Austria in Tokyo
Ludwig Boltzmann discovered many of nature’s laws of energy and entropy, and his leadership has impact even today. We use Ludwig Boltzmann’s laws and mathematical tools every day.
Ludwig Boltzmann Forum: Keynote speakers
- Shuji Nakamura Nobel Prize in Physics 2014, Professor, University of, California, Santa Barbara. Inventor of blue GaN LEDs and lasers. [summary and discussions]
- Gerhard Fasol Physicist, opto-electronics and spin-electronics. CEO, Eurotechnology Japan KK. Board Director of GMO Cloud KK. Served on the Faculty of Tokyo University, Cambrige University, and Trinity College, Cambridge. [summary and discussions]
- Chuck Casto Licensed Nuclear Power Station Operator. Was NRC regulator responsible for 23 nuclear power stations. Leader of the US Integrated Government and NRC efforts in Japan during the Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011. [summary and discussions]
- Hiroyuki Yoshikawa Pioneer of robotics and precision manufacturing. Emeritus President of the University of Tokyo. Japan Prize 1997. [summary and discussions]
Ludwig Boltzmann Forum: Program
- 14:00 Welcome by Dr. Bernhard Zimburg, Ambassador of Austria to Japan
- 14:10 Gerhard Fasol: today’s agenda
- 14:20 – 15:20 Shuji Nakamura: Developments of InGaN-based double hetero-structure high brightness blue LEDs and future lighting
- 15:40 – 16:30 Gerhard Fasol: Ludwig Boltzmann – the revolutionary
- 16:30 – 17:00 Chuck Casto: POWER OUTAGE: Japan nuclear power program post-Fukushima?
- 17:15 – 17:45 Hiroyuki Yoshikawa: Macroscopic Engineering
- 17:45 – 17:50 Gerhard Fasol: Summary
- 17:50 – Reception at Ambassador’s Residence
Shuji Nakamura: Developments of InGaN-based double hetero-structure high brightness blue LEDs and future lighting
Copyright·©2015 ·Eurotechnology Japan KK·All Rights Reserved·